Get to know Mrs. Chiavarini

For as long as I can remember I have wanted to be a teacher—just ask my brother and sister about the days when I trapped them in our playroom and forced them to do math and “learn to read!”

img003

Mrs. C when she was 10 years old.

I graduated from Vassar College with a degree in developmental psychology and a license in Elementary Education. I then taught for six years at Charles River School before taking some time to be home with our two children. After working in the education field part-time and completing my Master’s degree in Education, I returned to teaching full-time. I have been at Chickering for over 15 years and have loved working with fifth and fourth graders!

My grandmother, Eleanor Bush, was a strong influence in my life. For many years she was an elementary school teacher and then became a school principal in Los Angeles, CA. She always encouraged me to pursue teaching—reminding me that kindness and fairness were two qualities she valued most in a teacher.

img002

Eleanor Bush

While school is one of my favorite places to be, I also enjoy spending time with my family at the beach or camping. I also look forward to taking opportunities to travel and learn about new places. This summer I had the privilege of traveling with a team to Liberia. Among other things, we facilitated two morning workshops for teachers in the rural area surrounding Tappita in Nimba County. I got to know many wonderful people while I was there, and can say with certainty that this trip has had a lasting impact on my life.

When I’m home I like to read, play the piano and try my hand at vegetable gardening.

1st camping

Here I am on my first camping trip!

Fun at the beach with my family!

How tall do you think this sunflower is? Hint: I am 5’9″ tall.